Sunday, April 15, 2012

My First Pick-Up

My biggest fear has come to fruition.  Since Don has employed me, he has never asked anything but accounting-related-tasks.  I know that, in his potion, there are countless ‘tasks’ that need to be done, and in this business, no one really has defined roles.  Today, he left a message on my machine asking me to go to midtown and “pick up a package” for him.
I was nervous through the entire train ride.  I didn’t know whom I would be meeting or what he or she would give me.  I even had thoughts of being set up, that Don had no more use for me and wanted me killed.
I was surprised to see that there was a fed-ex at the address I had been given and there was just one, small package.  It was definitely smaller than a toaster, although considerably less heavy.  I brought the package to Don and that was that. 
Even though I’m happy that I didn’t encounter anything life threatening, I am afraid that Don is going to assign me more of these day-to-day tasks.  It’s not that I am lazy, or wouldn’t accept them eagerly from another employer; it’s that Don’s day-to-day tasks are probably less “clean” than I would like. I really don’t want to end up being connected to any criminal activity.  We’ll see…

JS

No comments:

Post a Comment